Nature Preschool Long-Term Substitute Teacher
Come awaken your natural sense of wonder at Nature Preschool! Join us as we jump in puddles, make mud pies, and study every part of a frog’s life cycle through real-life hands-on experiences.
Chippewa Nature Center is in search of a long-term substitute teacher with a passion for nurturing learning and investigation in 3 and 4 year old children. Nature Preschool is a five star, play-based program which uses research-based curriculum practices to implement developmentally appropriate early childhood education with nature at its core. Nature Preschoolers and staff experience the ecosystems at Chippewa Nature Center through engaging lessons and enriching exploration. Our teaching teams are highly trained and well supported with three full-time teachers in each classroom.
To work within a teaching team to provide a premier early childhood environment which meets the developmental needs of the whole child, while initiating them into a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach curriculum of Nature Preschool and develop daily plans in conjunction with other members of the teaching team
- Responsible for the health, safety and welfare of all children in the group
- Work with parents both formally and informally, individually and in groups
- Implement Nature Preschool policies, procedures, and activities in conjunction with the teaching team
- Be an engaged member of the Chippewa Nature Center team
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have the creativity, flexibility and understanding necessary for working with children, parents and co-workers
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position (i.e., daily outdoor hiking, lift 50 pounds)
- Currently hold certification in child and adult CPR and basic first aid or willingness to become certified
- Associates Degree or higher
- Experience in nature-based and/or play-based early childhood education
- Teaching experience
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate practice and the ability to implement that knowledge
- Computer literacy including working knowledge of Windows platform and Microsoft Office software package
Status: 40 hours per week; full-time temporary; Early September – Late October of 2019 OR Late September – Early December of 2019 with on-call opportunities throughout the school year.
Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8am-5pm
Pay Rate: $10.50-$11.50 /hour based on experience
Application procedure: Send resume and cover letter to Madison Powell, Nature Preschool Director, Chippewa Nature Center, 400. S. Badour Rd., Midland, MI 48640 or email@example.com. For additional information, please contact Madison Powell at 989-631-0830.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Overview: CNC is a nonprofit, environmental education organization. Its mission is to connect all people to nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. The 1,200-acre property includes woodlands, fields, ponds and rivers. CNC’s facilities consist of a Visitor Center with Ecosystem Gallery, classrooms and Nature Center store; an 1870s Homestead Farm complex; Nature Preschool; an arboretum and over 19 miles of nature trails. See www.chippewanaturecenter.org for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employment: CNC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, height, weight, handicap or disability, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws.