School Crossing Guard
Position Summary: This is part-time work providing safe passage of school children across designated streets. Position works 2-4 hours per day or as scheduled by the Public Safety Department, and reports to the School Liaison Officer or other Public Safety supervisor.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The employee controls and assists school children to assure safe crossing at designated or assigned location(s).
- The employee has authority to control vehicular traffic flow to allow safe crossings.
- The employee must remain at crossing area for the duration of assigned duty. May use personal vehicle for warming in cold weather and for shelter from rain or snow only when children are not present.
- Performs related work as required.
Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan Driver's License.
- Appropriate education and training with children.
- Ability to work outdoors in various seasonal weather and conditions.
- Ability to make signals and gestures distinct, decisive, and intelligible.
- Ability to work effectively with children and the public.
- Ability to gather information of a vehicle/person, if necessary, for thorough investigation of a potential complaint.
- Dress neatly and according to the weather.