Put your boots on and explore alongside students as they chase butterflies, catch frogs, and learn about past through hands-on environmental education programs.
Job Summary: Join a team of creative, passionate professionals who work together to connect children with nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. CNC is in search of Educators with a passion for sharing the natural world in relevant, engaging way with students in preschool through high school. Educators work a fixed schedule from 2-5 days a week delivering high quality, curriculum-aligned natural and cultural history programs.
Objective: To provide high quality natural and cultural history programs to students during field trips and CNC at Your School programs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- ? Lead school programs focusing on natural and/or cultural history topics for PreK-12 audiences
- ? Prepare lesson plans for programs including gathering and preparing all necessary materials
- ? Maintain supplies and equipment for at least one of the school programs
- ? Complete appropriate reports (i.e., timesheets, incident reports)
- ? Attend training sessions and staff meetings
- ? Work a minimum of 2 days/week, 9 am-3 pm (5 days max) for the Fall and Spring seasons
- ? Assist with some weekend or evening programs throughout the year (i.e., special events)
- ? Other duties as assigned
- ? Degree or experience in environmental education, interpretation, outdoor recreation or related field
- ? Experience working with children in a group setting
- ? Ability to communicate with visitors of all ages
- ? Knowledge of basic interpretive/teaching techniques
- ? Knowledge of natural and/or cultural history
- ? Ability to meet the physical demands of the position (i.e., hike over rugged terrain and lift 50 pounds)
Prefered Qualifications (ex.:)
- ? Certification in Project Wet, Project Wild and similar programs is encouraged
- ? Bachelor’s degree in public history, interpretation, environmental history, or related field with working
Status: Part-time seasonal
Schedule: 14-35 hours/week for 26 weeks; Fall season is September-December; Spring season is March-May
Start Date: March 1, 2019
Compensation & Benefits: Starting at $10.50/hr; CNC membership, 20% discount in Nature Center Store
Application procedure: Send cover letter and resume to Jenn Kirts, Director of Programs at email@example.com or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640)
Application Deadline: January 25, 2019
Overview: CNC is a nonprofit, environmental education organization. Its mission is to connect all people to nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. The 1,200-acre property includes woodlands, fields, ponds and rivers. CNC’s facilities consist of a Visitor Center with Ecosystem Gallery, classrooms and Nature Center store; an 1870s Homestead Farm complex; Nature Preschool; an arboretum and over 19 miles of nature trails. See www.chippewanaturecenter.org for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employment: CNC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, height, weight, handicap or disability, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws.