This is a skilled position, which involves working in a diversified engineering program for the City; includes design, construction, and inspection of improvement projects for water, sewer, roads, and traffic systems. This position assists the Engineering Manager with engineering-related work.
This position requires the use of good judgment, initiative and makes independent decisions on both day-to- day and long-range issues.
ILLUSTRATIVE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in preparing division budgets and maintains budget controls; oversees the ordering of supplies and materials; prepares specifications for major contractual work and for equipment
- Performs project planning and scoping.
- Manages Engineering permits.
- Responsible for the review of Stormwater Management and Soil Erosion and Sediment Control permits and after-construction inspections.
- Assists in management of design/construction engineering for streets, parks, water, and sewer projects with internal and external
- Confers with property owners, customers, and others regarding complaints and the effects of work projects.
- Assists with asset management of streets, sidewalks, signals, bridges, water, and sewer.
- Performs field and site reviews.
- Ensures that job duties are performed with proper safety work methods and
- Manages or assists with other assigned related
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering.
- Computer literacy, including experience in MS Office and Outlook.
- Modern developments, literature, and sources of information regarding engineering work assigned.
- Adherence to health & safety policies and
- Principals of quality control and assurance.
- Communicate effectively on technical problems, clearly and
- Effectively perform work and communicate to continually provide the public with the highest level of customer service by all Division
- Review and evaluate engineering designs and specifications to inspect the work of others and offer professional
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, consultants, other officials, and the general
- Demonstrate conflict resolution
- Problem solves with good communication and listening
- Work effectively under stress and changes in work
- Work nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Roadsoft and/or ArcGIS is preferred.
- Municipal Construction or Design experience is preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan's driver's license.
- Must obtain EGLE Storm Water Operator Certification within 6 months of hire date.
- Must obtain EGLE Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Review and Design Certification within 1 year of hire date.