Refuse Collection Worker - A
This is heavy manual work in the collection of refuse/recycling/yard waste material and in the operation of large refuse/recycling collection trucks. Work involves the collection of a wide variety of refuse/recycling materials with the safe and efficient operation of large refuse/recycling collection trucks on various routes.
Assignments are received from supervision with reviews through observation and evaluation of results.
ILLUSTRATIVE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Picks up and empties refuse, recyclable, and yard waste material into refuse/recycling trucks, including small debris.
- Operates mechanisms for loading, compressing, and dumping refuse material, and operates trucks for refuse/recycling collection activities.
- Inspects assigned refuse/recycling truck daily and reports mechanical problems, malfunctions, defects, or other problems to supervisor.
- Cleans and washes trucks and equipment as necessary.
- Hauls refuse/recycling material to landfill or recycling depot and dumps waste/recycling material.
- Participates with collections of large solid waste items such as discarded appliances, furniture and materials.
- Assists periodic streets maintenance or cleanup as assigned.
- Communicates with citizens in a courteous and professional manner.
- Performs job duties with proper safety work methods and procedures.
- Performs related work as required.
- Ability to learn collection routes, schedules, policies, and understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work for long periods of time, including under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work overtime, if needed.
- Demonstrated safety awareness.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent. Two (2) to three (3) years experience in large truck operation and maintenance preferred.
- Good mechanical and technical skills required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with a "A" endorsement.