Public Safety Officer
The Bay City Department of Public Safety is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Public Safety Officer. We offer a starting pay for Public Safety Officers of $24.58 per hour ($51,126.40 per year plus overtime). Top pay of $32.67 is achieved after only three (3) years ($67,953.60 plus overtime). In addition to the competitive pay, we offer a first-rate benefits package including Health Insurance with a Health Savings Account and a Defined Benefit Pension Plan. Generous vacation time is afforded to each employee starting at 80 hours and increasing to 240 hours (6 weeks) per year. The patrol division works 12 hours shifts with every other weekend being three days off.
We are looking for community-oriented people who have a desire to serve others. The Bay City Department of Public Safety is a progressive department always looking for ways to improve service and quality of life through new ideas and innovative means. The City of Bay City, MI, is located near the Saginaw Bay at the juncture of two major freeways (U.S. 10 and I-75). The city, population 32,661 (2020 Census), is a major recreation and entertainment center, approximately 120 miles north of Detroit. As the county seat and largest municipality in Bay County, Bay City has been a center of commerce, industry, government and culture.
The Bay City Department of Public Safety is a diverse group of people with a team mentality and experienced leadership. Motivated officers have opportunities for special assignments and promotions such as K-9, FBI Task Force Officer with our VIPER unit on the Mid-Michigan Safe Streets Task Force, Accident Investigation, Community Policing Officer, School Resource Officer, Evidence Technicians, Firearms Instructors, and many other specialty jobs and community outreach positions. Highly qualified candidates will be sponsored to the regional Police Academy as a full-time Police Recruit if selected.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Be at least 19 years of age.
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Possess at a minimum an Associate's Degree or have 60 college credits, Bachelor's Degree preferred. Prior military experience will also be considered.
- Have no felony convictions. No history of criminal or improper conduct.
- Possess a valid Michigan Driver's License. No convictions for Operating While Intoxicated (lifetime).
- Qualify and have the ability to attend a police academy and become licensed by MCOLES (Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards).
- Possess or have the ability to complete a fire academy and obtain certification in Michigan as a Firefighter I and II.
- Be of good moral character.
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
- Successful completion of psychological exam, physical, and drug screening. (Marijuana prohibited)
- Application Packet which includes the Application for Employment and Authorization for Release of Information for Employment Purpose
- Copy of Driver's License
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- High School or GED Transcripts
- College Transcripts
- Training Academy Transcripts
- M.C.O.L.E.S. certification/training certificate or equivalent out-of-state cert.
- Firefighter I and Firefighter II certification (if certified)
Optional Documents: Veteran, DD214 form (if applicable)
Note to Applicants: The application and authorization for release of information must be filled out in detail. In the event that there is not sufficient space on the application for your answers, additional sheets must be attached. Read all statements and questions carefully before answering. All questions must be answered. In the event that a question does not apply to you, place the letters "n/a" in the space provided for the answer. It is the applicant's responsibility to supply the above required documents when returning the employment packet. It will not be accepted and/or processed unless copies of the above items are received.
How to apply: Complete this online application. Additionally, the completed application packets may be faxed to 989-895-0916, emailed to Citydps@baycitymi.org or mailed to City of Bay City, Law Enforcement Center, 501 Third Street, Bay City, MI 48708.