Application System Analyst
This is technical work in the development, customization, integration and evaluation of all City software systems and related platforms. Work involves assisting the Director in evaluating the software needs of the City to determine and/or develop the most efficient and effective solution. General instructions are given by a superior regarding new assignments, but work is performed with considerable independence in completing assigned projects.
ILLUSTRATIVE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Evaluates and modifies system software (e.g. pc and web applications, 3rd party application, operating systems, interfaces, telecommunications systems).
2. Administers software systems, develops code, debugging, installation, support and training on software and its systems.
3. Analyzes and evaluates potential system and web applications, operating systems and platforms.
4. Evaluates problems and analyzes methods of assisting in their resolution through computer applications; documents work procedures and assists in analyzing system applications and related platforms.
5. Tests, checks, analyzes and debugs programs; reviews output data with users to determine its acceptability; modifies programs to improve output data and reduce operating time.
6. Maintains and updates existing programs to reflect changes in the system served.
7. Performs DBA functions on a wide variety of platforms including maintaining best practices for security, optimization and preventive maintenance.
8. Trains end users on all applications and related systems.
9. Confers with users to ascertain analytical data/information needs and evaluates information processing requests.
10. Works in conjunction with other IT personnel for full system implementations or integrations including assisting with related hardware installation.
11. Assists with system wide evaluations and implementations of both hardware and software.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems or- Computer Science preferred .. Two (2) years related fieldwork experience may be substituted for degree requirement.
- Experience with major operating systems including but not limited to: All Microsoft Windows platforms (i.e. Server, SQL, Desktop OS), and Linux.
- Major programming languages (i.e. Visual Studio, ADO.NET, ASP.Net/HTML/XML, Java, Python and Web Services).
- Programming concepts such as OOP and disconnected data environments.
- Work in conjunction with systems analysts and consultants in analyzing and implementing new software systems.
- Troubleshoot and debug all City software platforms including troubleshooting the associated operating and database systems.
- Prepare clear, detailed documentation on system changes.
- Effectively work with multiple priorities, deadlines and time constraints; as well as changes in work priorities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both the public and other City employees.
- Work independently and as part of a team to effectively to meet day-to-day operational deadlines.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Pay attention to detail and perform job duties with accuracy.
- Special Requirements:
- Must possess a valid State of Michigan driver's license