This is technical work involving the installation, troubleshooting, repair of personal computers and software, network equipment, related peripherals and communications equipment (voice and data).
Work involves installing hardware and software, ensuring all components are operating properly, and all required communications connections to, local area networks, and remote locations are functional. Also involves problem resolution and prompt corrective action when software errors, hardware malfunctions, or communication errors occur either in person or over the phone. Assignments are received from supervisor and/or problem calls from end users. Work is performed with some independence and reviewed by supervision.
ILLUSTRATIVE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Installs and maintains PCs, peripherals and related software as assigned.
2. Assists in installation and support of all network equipment (ie printers, servers, switches, routers, cabling)
3. Administration and support of the City-wide phone systems.
4. Prepares, maintains, test, and operates the City's Audio/visual systems and supports end users with the operation of the equipment.
5. Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and applications problems.
6. Resolve user-reported problems using available tools and following departmental procedures and policies.
7. Trains end users on system software and hardware products.
8. Provide accurate and timely logging of problems and resolutions in accordance with established IT procedures
9. Escalate problems as appropriate to internal support staff.
10. Act as a liaison between customers and internal support staff to assure accurate problem interpretation. Maintain communications with customers during the problem resolution process.
11. Utilizes superior customer service skills.
12. Review and update Help Desk documentation as assigned.
13. Gather and input data for reports.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Associate's Degree preferred in Computer Information Systems, Engineering Technology. Two (2) years related fieldwork experience may be substituted for degree requirement.
• Experience in the installation and monitoring of network operating systems and applications including but not limited to MS Windows OS, Antivirus software, Microsoft Office.
• The operation, installation, repair and maintenance of computer and telecommunication equipment.
• Networking infrastructure such as Ethernet, Fiber optics, routing, switching and firewalls.
• Network management software for remote installations and troubleshooting.
• PC cloning and deployment software.
• Effectively work with multiple priorities, deadlines and time constraints; as well as changes in work priorities.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both the public and other City employees.
• Work independently and as part of a team to effectively to meet day-to-day operational deadlines.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Pay attention to detail and perform job duties with accuracy.