Nature Day Camp Adventure Trip Leader
Nature Day Camp
Adventure Trip Leader
Status: Full time, seasonal
Application Deadline: February 5, 2021
Inspire children’s love of the outdoors by leading adventure trips into Michigan’s wilderness, including backpacking Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, navigating the Big Manistee River by canoe and exploring the sand dunes of the Manitou Islands.
Job Summary: Join a team of creative, energetic professionals who work together to connect children with nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. CNC is in search of a Nature Day Camp (NDC) Adventure Trip Leader with a passion for making a difference in the lives of children by providing powerful, dynamic programs in the backcountry. The Adventure Trip Leader will lead 5- to 9-day programs, introducing 10-16 year olds to backpacking, canoeing, kayaking and backcountry camping in the state of Michigan.
Objective: To develop and implement programming of predetermined adventure trips for campers to support and strengthen their relationships with the natural world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage camper health and safety
- Communicate with families regarding camper needs, safety concerns, dietary considerations and trip highlights/experiences
- Determine specific routes for the predetermined trip locations
- Plan, prepare and shop for meals
- Provide day-to-day programming for youth ages 10-16
- Communicate regularly with the Camp Director
- Be an engaged member of the CNC team
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working with youth in the outdoors
- Personal or professional experience backpacking, canoeing and/or kayaking and backcountry camping
- First aid and CPR certifications
- Valid chauffeur’s license (can be obtained after hire)
- 18 years of age or older
- Physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work varied hours, including some weekends and evenings
- Wilderness First Aid/First Responder and Lifeguard (or ability to become certified)
- Preference will be given to those who have earned or are working toward a degree in outdoor recreation, biology, ecology, environmental education or another related field
- Knowledge of local natural resources (ecology, identification of birds, plants, etc.)
Schedule: Paid staff training: June 1-June 11 and June 28-30. Camp sessions run June 14 through August 18 with no camp July 1-2. Weekend trip dates are July 17-18.
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary is $396 per week with additional stipends for overnight camps ($60/night in the field), 20% discount on registered programs and in Nature Center Store. Uniform shirts are provided. Housing for non-trip nights may be arranged if necessary.
Status: Full time, seasonal
Application Procedure: Send cover letter and resume to Steve Frisbee, Camp Director at email@example.com or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640
Application Deadline: February 5, 2021 (Interviews will be held by invitation February 13, 2020)
Overview: CNC is a nonprofit, environmental education organization. Its mission is to connect all people to nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. The 1,500-acre property includes woodlands, fields, ponds and rivers. CNC’s facilities consist of a Visitor Center with Ecosystem Gallery, classrooms and Nature Center store; an 1870s Homestead Farm complex; Nature Preschool; an arboretum and over 19 miles of nature trails. See www.chippewanaturecenter.org for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employment: CNC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, height, weight, handicap or disability, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws.